Wednesday, June 8, 2011

NANN Brighter Tomorrow's Story

Ok, so I never win anything- EVER!! But recently, a professional organization that I'm a member of- NANN (National Association of Neonatal Nurses) had a story contest. It was a "Brighter Tomorrow's" story contest. They wanted stories about things that NICU nurses had experienced that were relevant to the NICU nursing practice, but were also inspiring. I could think of a million little things I have experienced in the years I've been a nurse, but one story stood out- my Isabella. If you know me, you know Isabella. She is 5 years old, and I met her in May 2006, when she was admitted into the NICU. She fought for her life for 6 months and now she is nothing but a spunky, bossy, prissy, beautful and precious precious little girl. So, I was allowed 500 words to tell of a 5 year long friendship with Isabella and her mom, Monty. I entered the contest, and can you believe it?? I actually won! I get to go to the NANN conference now in Orlando, Florida in September, which is great because I need the contact hours for my certification!! I thought I'd share the story, and the pictures I sent, on the blog. Enjoy!!




"Isabella was born at 31 weeks gestation in May of 2006. She was transferred the a NICU near her hometown for observation. After 2 days of life, her weight went from 4 lbs 2 oz to 2 lbs 0 oz. Her blood pressure was dangerously high. She was showing signs of renal failure, and the beginnings of multi-organ failure. The decision was made to transfer Isabella to LeBonheur Children‘s Hospital for higher level care. I knew when I received report from the transferring facility that this baby girl was very critical.


The Pedi-Flite team brought her in; this tiny, pale little girl with flailing arms and a feisty spirit. She was a fighter, screaming and swinging her arms as I admitted her and performed the necessary rapid assessment. Her blood pressure remained critical through the night, and into the next few days and weeks. Over the next 6 months during her stay in my NICU, she developed a pericardial effusion, requiring an emergent procedure to pull the fluid off her heart so she could survive. She also developed Necrotizing Enterocolitis requiring surgery, severe reflux requiring a G-Tube, and bleeding in her brain which developed into “PVL,” or periventricular leukomalacia. She required several central lines, endless transfusions, labs, ECHO’s, and other tests. Yet, she never lost her determination to live. I became one of her primary nurses, and I began to love her as if she was my own child. She became an inspiration to me.

Eventually, she did lose a kidney, but she never lost her fighting spirit. Although she would go through periods of deterioration, scaring the nurses, she would always bounce back, determined to live life to the fullest. Just before Thanksgiving 2006, Isabella went home. She took with her monitors, pumps, and a central line that her mother learned to care for. I remember coming in on my day off for this long awaited day. I watched, tears in my eyes, as Isabella was dressed in her little pink onesie, wrapped in the blanket I’d knitted for her, and placed in her car seat. Our sweet Isabella went home.

I kept in touch with her mother, visiting them several times a year. I watched her grow into a toddler, walking, talking, running, all the while feisty and strong-spirited, yet so sweet and fragile. When I got engaged in 2009, the only little girl I wanted to be my flower girl was Isabella.

In November of 2009, Isabella put on her white “princess” dress, little ballet shoes, and she was my flower girl. It was a sweet celebration, and tears of joy were again shed by staff from the NICU as they were reunited with this little girl that had made such a large impact on their lives. She danced around, twirling her dress, singing a song, and smiling. This little girl, born so small and delicate but with such a determined spirit, overcame the impossible, and continues to inspire strength in everyone she meets. "


Me and Isabella in the NICU, sometime in the fall of 2006

On our wedding day


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very sweet story!

Deanna Newell said...

I know Monty and her family, live in the same town. This is such a beautiful story.

Missy Rich said...

This precious child is my first cousin's child. I know her and She's so precious to all of us. She and her parents are leaving Saturday @ mid-night to fly to Detroit to "redo" her renal bypass...This is a seriously involved surgery. Please pray for this family and little Bella. Her mother is stressed out and also needs peace of mind. When I asked Isabella about going to Michigan, she expressed her anticipation to fly "in a real plane." Bless her... Just please join us in prayer and believe that she will have a successful surgery with a smooth recovery and for peace of mind for her parents while they stay with her.