Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Fruits of the Garden

 Although we did not plant a "fruit" garden, nor even a vegetable garden this year, we still are beginning to see our hard work pay off- in all different colors!! We had every intention of doing vegetables this year, but last year's trouble with the weather- droughts, heat, and seeing baby squash and cucumber lying in the most pitiful positions, dry and malnourished and, well, crispy (not yet cooked)...caused us to..well.. let's just say "we didn't go there." It was too emotional for this NICU nurse to see her baby vegetables suffer from malnutrition, dehydration, and "IUGR" (for the plants- all you medical folks know this as intrauterine growth restriction- these plants, had they been in a uterus, would have most definately suffered this as well- ) or for the plants' sake- IGGR "Intragarden growth restriction" secondary to hyperthermia. That's that.

 But, I am pleased to say that my three sweet hydrangea bushes are flourishing quite nicely. They were sick last year- some sort of "something" that I couldn't figure out, but they hardly had leaves, and certainly did not have enough "Umph" for flowers! I fertilized last year, but nothing worked...last year... but THIS year- leaves came...big leaves, then more leaves, then small buds, then bigger buds, then different color buds. I know that the color of the hydrangea is influenced by the acidity of the soil- the more acidic, the more tinted blue. I remember my great-grandmother and my Gran talking about putting nails in the soil to get blue hydrangea's... granted, I was 3 years old at the time, but in my 3 year-old mind, putting nails in the soil seemed like a task fitting for me, and I can vividly remember the excitement of finding a nail near my Grandadden's truck and sticking it in the ground...what I didn't know was there weren't any hydrangea's nearby where I was "planting nails."  Oh well. I'm sure mom and her lawnmower appreciated the especially "larger" nails I planted. (sorry momo)

So, all that to say- we have three very large-and-in-charge hydrangea bushes.. they share the same soil and yet God, with all His artistic phenomenon, decided to make one blue, one pink, and one a very light pink-almost white. Amazing! My face lights up everytime I come up the driveway and see the colors- what a reminder of how creative God can be with us, as well- in the same circumstances, but how different we all are- and since we are His creation, we are all beautiful in our differences.

My lilies are well on their way, pregnant with blooms..some already bursting with life and vivid color- gorgeous!! My hostas, also large-and-in-charge, have sprouted their tall, ladylike stems and are just about to pop with delicate purple blooms- love those!! The cannas and gladiolas are growing tall, no blooms yet though. And the hibiscus my MIL (mother-in-law) gave me last year has gone from 1 stalk (as big around as my wrist) to 8 stalks! I am currently working on finding nice homes for some of these :) I hear they have a tendency to take over, and I have enough "large-and-in-charge" in the front- will find a new home for these in the side yard and hopefully with some neighbors (mom- bringing you some, too- soon!!)


perfect blue

and pink


and a little white and blue mix


and purple

just lovely

Vincas- doing well in their sunshine

there's a small purple flower inside that bud, just waiting to burst out1

these lilies in the backyard never cease to amaze me- tall and strong and vivid red! reminds me of an independent woman- or like my mom, strong, able to stand on her own, resilient to life's harsh seasons

gorgeous and perfect

I love my "Noah Bells"- they are distinctive from all other bells in their melodic and echoing tones. Each one is handmade- no machines- and each ones rings differently. Shepherds love these bells as they enable them to easily hear and find their flocks from many miles away. And Old Indian belief is that bells scare away devils and evil spirit- what about evil tornadoes??

Bouquets, of course, are a must with flowers like these!


Again, the colors! Hard to believe each of those different flowers and color schemes came from hydrangea bushes within 6 feet of each other. Wow, God, Wow!

No comments: