Saturday, March 12, 2011

Devastation in Japan

I woke up this morning to the sounds of my sweet husband getting ready for work. Sounds of a hot shower, the fridge opening, the coffee pot, the kitties crying for treats. I stayed warm in the bed, under the covers and I thought to myself,  "I am so thankful."
I think most people have been semi-glued to the t.v. the past few days, watching the devastation and turmoil unfold on the other side of the world. Images flashing of debris, collapsed buildings, water rushing over the land, explosions and fire, people completely broken and desperate to survive. My heart is burdened and heavy. I think, "What if..." I take for granted so many things in life, in everyday life, such as having a warm bed and a roof over my head, having a husband to kiss me goodbye before going to work, having hot water, food, clothes. What if we lost everything? Could I handle it? What would we do? Where would we go? As Christians, it's easy to say, "Well, God's word promises...." , "God will provide whatever we need...", "Stay strong an courageous...", "Ask and ye shall receive...", but sometimes, I want to ask God "Why?" Why allow this? Why all the wars, the shootings, the government struggles, the poverty, Katrina, Haiti, Tsunami's, earthquakes, civil wars...Why? I want to go help, I want to go fix it, I want to do something..I don't like this brokeness and pain and suffering..

No answer. Only a few quiet thoughts.."Therefore as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Bear with each other...Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts..be thankful...and whatever you do, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus.." Colossians 3.





" Encourage one another and build each other up...live in peace with each other...encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone...always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else...


... Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. " 1 Thess. 5


"Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands..." 2 Cor. 5


"But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down but not destroyed... all this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God... for what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Cor. 4

The helper-bee in me wants to hop in the next plane and go help the people.. as I wanted to with Katrina, Haiti, etc...but God has put me in this place for now- He wants me serving His people in Memphis...but I can pray. And the part of me that wants instant gratification says, "well...what the heck does prayer do?" But I have got to remember, God's got this. This isn't His first earthquake. Katrina wasn't His first hurricane. And the turmoil in the middle east and Africa isn't new for Him either. He's got this. He just wants me to be thankful to Him for what He has laid out for my life. He wants me to encourage everyone He puts in my day. He wants me to be kind, joyful, and faithful in prayer. And He wants me to pray for Japan. So I will pray...I might stomp my feet a little because I still don't like the hurt in this world, and I still want to jump on a plane and go help- but God knows that about me, too... He did wire my hard-drive to want to do that... but He wants me here for now, in Memphis, going to LeBonheur to help His children there, going to Caldwell-Guthrie to love His children there.. So I can pray, I can give of the resources He has blessed me with to send others to help, and I can pray some more.


"Answer me when I call to you, O my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress; be merciful to me and  hear my prayer." Psalm 4
"Hear, O Lord, and answer me, for I am poor and needy. Guard my life, for I am devoted to you. You are my God; save your servant who trusts in you. Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I call to you all day long. Bring joy to your servant, for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul." Psalm 86
"For he has not despised or disdained the suffering of the afflicted on; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help." Psalm 22
" I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand." Psalm 40
"I lift my eyes to the hills- where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip...The Lord watches over you...The Lord will keep you from all harm- he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going..." Psalm 121
"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty...He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge...He will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways..." Psalm 91
"Be merciful to me, Lord, for I am faint...My soul is in anguish. How long, O Lord, how long?" Psalm 6
"Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." Psalm 27
" From heaven the Lord looks down and sees all mankind; from his dwelling place he watches all who live on earth- he who forms the hearts of all, who considers everything they do...the eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love, to deliver them from death and keep them alive in famine. We wait in hope for the Lord; he is our help and our shield." Psalm 33
" O Lord, do not forsake me; be not far from me, O my God. Come quickly to help me, O Lord my Savior." Psalm 38
" All my longings lie open before you, O Lord; my sighing is not hidden from you; my heart pounds, my strength fails me; even the light has gone from my eyes..." Psalm 38


" His wisdom is profound, his power is vast... He moves mountains without their knowing it and overturns them in his anger. He shakes the earth from its place and makes its pillars tremble. He speaks to the sun and it does not shine; he seals off the light of the stars. He alone stretches out the heavens and treads on the waves of the sea... He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9

1 comment:

Kim said...

I came across this today and it's just beautiful, Sarah. I love the perspective and I wish more people in the world had your heart. I, too, want so desperately to sell my belongings and get over there to help, but realize that my family and circumstance is here at home right now. Continue to pray and to show Jesus to others... you definitely showed Him to me today at a time when I needed to see Him. Thanks for that.
-Kim (Elder) Mauney